Wednesday, June 8, 2011

ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN?

Here is a situation for you. Someone asks, "Are you a Christian?" What is your answer? For many years, in fact, most of my years I have been on this Earth, my answer would undeniably have been a simple "yes". I now have a new response; rather than just a yes or no I will say, "I don't know, tell me what a Christian does, and I'll tell you if I do those things." So today while in lecture we discussed what may come to mind when someone hears the word Christian. While there are many positives that may come up, there are also many negatives. Some examples we came up with of what a non-believer might say are hypocrite, judgmental, religious, boring, offensive, and the list goes on and on. If this is what a Christian is, then I don't want to be one. I will, however, tell anyone that I am a Jesus follower, and as a follower of Jesus I am not ever commanded to be a hypocrite, judgmental, religious, boring, offensive, etc... You get the point. To clarify here just a bit, I am not saying I am not a Christian. I am simply saying that I understand that the worldview of Christianity has been skewed, and now that I have been introduced to a new way to approach this type of question, I believe it can be quite useful in ministry, so this is why I felt it was an important concept to share. If you are having any reservations accepting or agreeing with what I have said, that is okay! You don't have to agree with me. I invite you to pray and ask God for personal revelation.

"Christianity is an apostolic practice, not an explicit command of Jesus, therefore we are free to leave that word behind." quote from our speaker Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment